Can my child's father be ordered to pay for my child's college education in Florida?

In Florida, a parent's child support obligation terminates upon the child turning 18 years old, or graduating from high school as long as the child has a reasonable expectation of graduating prior to his or her 19th birthday. Therefore, a parent cannot be ordered by a judge to pay for college. However, often in Florida, we negotiate for college payments in a marital settlement agreement. If you have a marital settlement agreement that requires a parent to contribute to college expenses, that agreement is enforceable in court if the parent later refuses to make those payments.