How and where can paternity be established in Florida?

In order to establish paternity in Florida, you must file a petition for paternity. In Florida, just because someone's name appears on the birth certificate, it doesn't mean that he has parental rights. There must be a judicial determination if the parents were not married at the time that the child was born. Paternity can be filed in the county where the child resides, in the country where conception occurred, or in the county where the proposed father resides. But you must file an action for paternity in order to obtain parental rights over the minor child.