My spouse lost their job and stopped paying child support. What do I do?

If your spouse loses his or her job and stops unilaterally paying child support without seeking court relief, then you must file a motion for contempt and/or enforcement. If your spouse has done nothing to try and find a job or has done nothing to try and pay his or her support, it is likely that he or she will be found in contempt of court. However, if your spouse does not have the ability to pay the support and has tried to find a job, the court may temporarily reduce and or abate the child support obligation for a period of time.